Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Summer Garden Fairy Mixed Media Collage



Hey Everyone! 
The SDC99 challenge, chosen by Carol, is "Summertime"and the first thing that came to mind was gardens, flowers, fireflies... and that led me to creating a garden fairy clothed in a cheerful sundress.  

The piece measures 6x12 and the background is acrylic paint on MDF, with layers of stamping and stencils. The majority of the stencils used in this mixed-media wall hanging are TCW - Balzer Designs

For her wings, dress and boots I made Gelli Plate mono-prints using regular typing paper and deli paper. The deli paper is translucent (like vellum) and it gives the wings a lovely ethereal quality. 


For the head I stamped Jill on book paper, I just love her big eyes and sassy hair. I'll be investing in the other heads ASAP here's a link to the ones I'm coveting Stampotique carries: Leeta, Jeepers, Miss SnottieClover,  Muffin, Pockets and Mervyn


The flowers were made with scraps from my mixed-media index cards and a heart punch. 

For the quote I stamped Sometimes on typing paper using Staz-on. I could really relate to the sentiment:

*snort*

This is also my entry for the Simon Says Stamp: Inspired By Challenge. I was inspired by this pin:

And it's my "Inspired by Gardens"  'Take the Challenge' with Mou entry. 

My youngest said this is his favorite piece I've ever made. I think my heart just about exploded with happiness :-)

Thanks so much for visiting.
Warmly,
~~Nicole

17 comments:

Reflective Art Studio said...

WOW Nicole I love love love this.... Thanks for sharing your talents with us.
Sarinda

Bonnie Irvine said...

I love Jill! She is fabulous in her funky outfit and those pretty wings. What a cool way to use the gelli plate prints. The background is amazing with all of the layers and details to notice. That's one of my favourite sentiments, too. Obviously, your son has wonderful taste :)

Helen said...

I really like this - the background, the colours/patterns of her dress, her wings, everything really, and as for those big eyes - just lovely!

roc said...

love your colors on this! congratulations on being a guest designer!

chksngr said...

I want her!! or a print! will you be putting one or the other in your shop??? Please say yes!

Win Dinn, Artist said...

I just love, love, LOVE this - what fun, and full of light-heartedness.

Basement Stamper said...

What a gorgeous piece of artwork, love the head and the fairy in the garden you have created. Beautiful!!

Kaz said...

Love love love it!! x

Sue said...

This is amazing Nicole, I love the colours and those little heart flowers and just everything about this xx

Anonymous said...

Well, you know how much I love your work and this one is no exception! Thanks for joining us over at SSS&Show :)

Tracey said...

Love Love Love this board!! The colours, the prints, the girl , and most definitely the saying!!! Thanks so much for joining us at Simon Says Stamp and Show :)

Chandra Merod said...

This fairy is great! I love her dress and wings, the flowers are so cute! I never thought of using a stamp of a face that's a great idea :) she is beautiful!

salamanda said...

Funky fairy and gorgeous mixed media piece.

Salla said...

Wow! I love your funky fairy with the bright summer colours in the background. Congrats for winning in the Design Memory Craft Challenge! That's where I found your blog from, and I'm glad I did!

Salla said...

Wow! I love your funky fairy with the bright summer colours in the background. Congrats for winning in the Design Memory Craft Challenge! That's where I found your blog from, and I'm glad I did!

Valerie H. Marshall said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE
LOVE
LOVE
LOVE
LOVE
LOVE
LOVE
LOVE!!

Jane Lazenby ~ Artist said...

Nicole, I have just found you through a page about the stamping tray. I absolutely love what you have done with the garden fairy. I am all about angels and fairies and this soooo inspires me!! You are so talented!! Wish I could come watch you create!! Thanks for sharing!
Jane