Thursday, July 12, 2012

What's Up With Me :-)

Hey everyone,

Are you getting tired of seeing collages? I've been worrying about that and thought I'd just ask. Right now, I've been making a ton-o collages so that's been the bulk of my posts. But if you're bored, please speak up. I have thick skin :-) Okay, I don't, really. But I can handle it :-)

The last six weeks have been so busy and crazy! Wow! So I thought I'd give you all a highlight reel.

There was a forest fire! It was close enough that this is the view from my front door. Scary! The authorities had us pack but not evacuate. Fortunately no homes burned and all was well in the end.


My oldest turned 16!



I had my make-up done at MAC and tried false eyelashes for the first time. Haven't since, they are dirty looking things... any tips on cleaning them. Every time I pick them up I think, well there's an eye infection waiting to happen!


I also met an artist whose work I fell madly in love with and bought the piece that spoke to my heart:



And I've had three different big bad health things happen. *grumble* So I've taken my health in my own hands - temporarily until surgeons can Mr Fix-it the rest. A big part of that is no sugar. 
*GASP*

Which is why you've seen a lot less baking on this blog.
But I do have a backlog of cake posts needing to be written up so there still will be cake. I just feel weird sharing sugar-rich recipes when I'm convinced it's just not good for people. 

In the battle of ethics vs yummy-tummy which will win?
said in my best ready to rumble announcers voice

But, if you're jonesing for some dessert awesomeness from Casa Maki, my youngest son, Brayden, has started a blog that mostly features Mug Cakes. Mix in a mug. Cook in the mic. Easy, done. Portion-controlled. I approve.


And, as I'm sure you've noticed, I started an Etsy shop and it's been constantly sold out. Nearly every piece has sold in under two hours and I've been waking up most days to custom orders. It's been a wild, invigorating, unexpected, WONDERFUL experience and I want to thank all of you who have been a part of it.


10 comments:

Teri B said...

Don't stop with the collages! Love them!

Amy Wing said...

So exciting to hear that your Etsy shop is doing so well! (Consider ArtFire! It's so much cheaper!) Sorry to hear your health continues to be an issue, my friend. Sugar is my nemesis. I lose weight without trying when I get off of it (and the "white stuff" - flour, white rice, etc.). I have tried and tried and tried again this past year to stop the sugar again, and somehow I keep falling off the wagon. But you're right - it's awful for you - makes a lot of inflammation in the body. I lecture patients about it several times a day and still have problems with it myself. Frustrating. Of course, an occasional treat is okay. Moderation, moderation...

Unknown said...

I LOVE your collages... When I see in my google reader that you have a new blog post up, I am hoping it is a collage! lol. Please don't stop. Your makeup is adorable. I hate false eyelashes, too. I always want to rub my eyes when I have them on! But they looks super cute.

Unknown said...

I LOVE your collages... When I see in my google reader that you have a new blog post up, I am hoping it is a collage! lol. Please don't stop. Your makeup is adorable. I hate false eyelashes, too. I always want to rub my eyes when I have them on! But they looks super cute.

Carmen said...

Nicole... IT'S YOUR BLOG! If you wanted to post piccies of you painting in the nudey, who would we be to complain? Actually - you might get even MORE sales :D

But seriously, more, more, more collages! And skully shrines!

Kathi said...

Your collage posts have brightened my day and inspired me. So keep 'em coming.

So excited to have a collage print of my very own.

So sorry about the sucky health stuff. I hope that the no-sugar regimen gives you some solid results. Have you done away with "processed" foods too? Just wondering.

I'm delighted and not at all surprised that your Etsy shop has been successful.

Kim said...

I don't comment a lot, but I read a lot and I say a big fat NO!! I am not sick of your collages- I love them- please keep making them :) I've tried to cut back on sugar too- no good at giving it up, but I think we were not ever meant to consume as much of it as we do. Hope things turn around on the health side soon!

Ashley Newell said...

Congrats on all your good news and boo to the rest! That about covers it right? ;) Ok, how to clean lashes, take the lashes, put them on a tissue or napkin. grab a q-tip or cotton ball, soak in eye makeup remover, clean, and then reshape and let dry. They should last you like 6 or so wears. :)

CathyR said...

Please keep showing us the collages. They are so inspiring. I'm not surprised they are selling fast. Sorry about the health issues. I'm trying to limit sugar too. It is so hard. Maybe we can all help each other.

Lisa - papergrace said...

You (and your collages) are so amazing and so inspiring. Please don't change a thing. I wish you only strength, peace, and all the love and hope you need to get through each day. Our struggles are a bitch and a blessing all-in-one. I hope you always know how much of shining star you are. So happy to hear of all the successes you are currently enjoying. You deserve it all! xoxo