Monday, January 9, 2012

Over-Printing Fabric


This time of year a lot of us take a renewed interest in using what we have, but sometimes what we have isn't exactly our taste. When it comes to fabric, over-printing is a great way of taking something manufactured and making it uniquely your own. 

Here's the fabric I didn't like:


And here it is now after a little bit of altering:

(please click to see this up close)

I started out with stamps and Staz-On and then did a little stenciling with spray ink.  I don't intend to wash this fabric panel so I used water reactive ink, if you plan to wash it (like an apron, for example) use fabric paint. Next I added some outlining with my Permaball pen and then I stenciled on the flames and added dots with acrylic paint through two different sized of Gauche Alchemy punchinella. Next I adhered a few snippets of meaningful text with Mod Podge and once it's dry, added an outline with black ink (pen). This really helps anchor and integrate the text into the piece. 

Whenever I Mod Podge paper onto fabric I brush it on the fabric and the paper and make sure it's stuck down and evenly coated. Once it's dry, I added a little more with my finger just to make sure all the edges are well sealed. 

From left to right: 

 




 And a close up:


I can't wait to make this panel into something!

1 comment:

Juls said...

so fabulous and creative! Love it!! Hugs Juls