Friday, August 6, 2010

Floor Mat and Snickerdoodle cake

Floor Mat details

Last night the boys and I watched Much Ado About Nothing for the gazillionth time. I love that if I even mention MAAN the kids burst out with quotes like:

"What, my dear Lady Disdain! are you yet living?"

"I would my horse had the speed of your tongue"

Since we are such huge geeky fans I decided to make movie night extra special so I baked my boys a Snickerdoodle Cake. I saw the recipe at craftzine and had to give it a try.  Usually I am very anti-cake mix but the temptation got the best of me. I'm really glad it did, the cake was luscious.

Snickerdoodle Cake

My big project this week was making a kitchen mat for in front of the stove. We're always splashing and spilling and I spend truly long hours standing in my kitchen - it will be so nice to stand on something soft and pretty. It's made just like a dish mat only using a large beach towel and more piecing. I was terribly tempted to use the fabric I bought that matches my kitchen but I wanted something very scrappy that I could add patches and such to as tomato sauce stains and (hopefully not) burn marks took their toll on this first layer. The pleats and ruffles are great fun for your piggies and add a little textural interest.

As I was adding bits and pieces I got to wondering how would I know if I was done. Then I broke a needle, emptied my bobbin and ran out of thread... DONE! Love clear messages like that :-)

Kitchen Mat

Anyone know how to get a half decent picture of a large mat?

Floor Mat details

Floor Mat details

Big huggy thanks to Lanie at Lanie J. and Co. for featuring my Napkins and Dish Mat. So sweet of you :-) Also, thanks so much to Craft Gossip for posting about my Sci-fi Barstools on their new Home and Garden section.

Linked to:

  Join us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap up party!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great idea! I have a bunch of scraps. What did you use for the middle? Thanks for sharing!

Darcy Marshall said...

what a great mat, I would love one, but my kitchen is so tiny I would trip over it and fall into the oven. I remember my Grandma having one in the kitchen called a 'clippy mat'

I posted a parcel to you today so watch out for it.x

joyce rodli said...

Kewl. Try standing on a step ladder for that larger photo. Have an awesome weekend Nicole and Happy happies.

CathyR said...

Love your floor mat. What a great idea.

Cate Brickell said...

your mat looks lovely! I peg my quilts to the line when I want full photos of them, maybe that could work for you, too.

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

Your mat is so fun! i love all the different colors and patterns! And the cake looks delicious!

XXOO
Jen

Lappedamen said...

What a great idea. I want one too. The mat looks wonderful.

Larri said...

Very cute! I'd love looking at that cheery mat while I make my coffee. That Snickerdoodle cake looks wonderfully yummy. Stopping by from Sew&Tell. Thanks for sharing. Happy Sewing! :o)

www.seamsinspired.com

Kristen said...

I need one of these! I love the happy scrappiness of it all!

Danielle Leal said...

That floor mat is fabulous!!! i love it! Those fabrics would look amazing in my kitchen when i get it done! Great idea!

Joe Root said...

Much obliged to you so much Love your site.. anti slip mat