Wednesday, December 2, 2009

December Daily Album

Last night I spent some time consulting with my pain management coordinator. He's the guy who has me running off for surgery etc. It's his job to keep straight all the fun I'm having. The conversation was depressing to say the least. My medication was increased again as the coccygeal injection was a cataclysmic disaster. His words, "Occasionally a spinal injection completely ruins a person's life. You're that person." It did something nasty to the bone and now I can't sit for more than seven minutes or stand for more than ten. The pain is exponentially worse and my quality of life is really in the toilet. I'm supposed to keep in mind that this is short term. "Only about a month longer" But that's a lot of special days with my family I'll be missing out on. I have to get the nerve to walk across the room - decorating trees and making gingerbread is way outside my scope right now.

So, with all that on my mind I decided to jump on the Daily December bandwagon. I'm terrified that I'm going to miss this winter entirely. Or at least not lock in memories of the moments.

Ali Edwards popularized the concept. Basically you make an album or notebook and add a note and picture each day. People often include envelopes for receipts, cards etc. I didn't want to spend any money and I can't go shopping so I made the album in about an hour from the chipboard back of a used legal pad and scraps from my paper file (including some awesome ouchless cardboard from Gauche Alchemy). You'd be amazed at how many piece I've saved that meet the 5x7 requirement I set. The covers are 5.5 x 7.5 to make room for odd sized items (like scallops).

This is a great recycling project. I plan to make some more inner pages from discarded manilla folders, cereal boxes etc. And don't think you need to be crafty for this. If you can keep a journal, you can do Daily December.

What I'm not doing is stressing out, spending a lot of time or expecting much of myself. I am adding at least one picture and a short note about what we did. Sounds good to me.

Here's some pics:





And here's my page from yesterday. As you can see, I haven't done my inside covers yet and I'm keeping it very basic. Simple is good.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

I don't know what to say about your doctor people. There just aren't words.

But...in other news...the candy advent garlands were a HUGE hit at my house. HUGE. So, there is that.

Kathi said...

I'm really sorry about the increased pain. It's such horrible timing to have it during the holidays.

But your December reminder book is gorgeous. I can't believe that you muster the creativity and energy to continue to make such amazing keepsakes.

CathyR said...

I'm sorry you are still in so much pain. Hang in there and here is a big gentle hug for you.

I love your December Daily. Simple is great, it lets your pictures and memories shine. Can't wait to see more.

chksngr said...

super cute! I'm completely amazed that you have the will to do anything!!! What a woman you are!!!

Maggi said...

I love this album, it's beautiful and what an amazing thing it will be to look through in the future!

I'm so sorry you're in all of this pain. I wish I could fix it for you!

Jenn said...

so sorry about your pain :(

but your album truly rocks my socks!

Carmen said...

I just can't imagine how you do it. You amaze me completely. Like Maggi said I wish we could take it away for you or at least take a little bit of it on so it wasn't so bad :(

Your book is beautiful which astounds me even more that you managed it. Wonder Woman is alive and sort of well in you :)

itsallrosi said...

I'm so sorry to hear about this pain you're having.

Your album looks great and I love the first page.