Thursday, July 9, 2009

Oldest Trick In The Book

Summer is a season where kids can vacillate between too busy and bored. This can be tough on us moms. I bet everyone knows this trick already but I thought I'd post it as a reminder.

Move the toys. Cycle through them, mix things up. When things stay in one place too long our eye can skip over them as old news - I know mine sure can when it comes to paper and kits. So move things around. Think of how inspired you are when you re-organize your craft space and then give your kids that same feeling.

We have a buffet in our front room that has a few plants on top of it. I moved the plants to the great room and replaced them with this:


Am I going to win any interior decorating awards? No. have my kids given me several hours of peace save for the squeals of delight at rediscovering old favorites? Yes.

And it didn't cost a cent. In this economy, enjoying what you have is the best way to make it through.

6 comments:

Elizabeth R. said...

Great idea! And I think it looks pretty cool from a designer's perspective too!

Nathalie said...

I agree with Elizabeth! I think that not only it looks cool and I love the idea!!! My kids are driving me crazy AS I type this!!!

Unknown said...

I was counting on 'new' toys coming out of storage when we moved...but since nothing is nailed down with where we'll be moving too...I'm missing the toys! And the boys are spending too much time with the Wii..

itsallrosi said...

great idea!

Mary C. said...

This is a great idea! We tend to tuck the games away in a cupboard. This way they are there to remind us to have some fun.
I love it!

Eve said...

Cute idea! Thanks for sharing!!!