Thursday, May 7, 2009

Filling My Cup

My camera is completely dead - my sweetie gave it an accidental death toss across a parking lot - so I can't post projects, dinners or any of the good stuff that makes blogging fun. I guess you're just going to have to listen to me babble *grin*

Yesterday I spent a significant portion of my day dealing with my medical issues and I really felt like God cleared my path. I called my doc's cell very early in the morning and cried. He got me an appointment first thing and moved me to the front of the waiting crowd. When walking in I noticed my physical therapist was in his office. He's a prof at the U so he's only at the clinic on evenings and weekends. I popped in to see him after my Dr. visit and he had an hour to spare because it was finals and he didn't need to be at the U. So I got an instant appointment with him too. After a thorough exam we have a new treatment plan and until Monday I'm being "actively restful".

All that time in waiting rooms gave me a chance to have some quiet reflection and I came to some very happy conclusions.


I've always been a creative person: music and dance when I was a kid, writing through my teens and adulthood and arts and crafts now. In writing especially there is a concept of filling your cup. The idea is that you can't write great stories unless you are filling your cup with movies, plays, novels, trips, adventures, new sights, sounds, smells, tastes, new people. You need all those experiences to draw from and subsequently pour into your work.

Scrapbooking and card making (for me) is very much the same. By reading blogs, magazines, books, taking classes etc. you fill up your creative reservoir so when the time comes to make something the inspiration is practically overflowing.

With my health problems I go through times when I am too shaky, sore and immobilized to make things. Instead of railing against these periods of forced creative abstinence I am choosing to use those days to fill my cup: to read, to study techniques, to blog hop, to browse magazines and organize my stamps. Then when I am strong and steady I'll be ready :-)

4 comments:

CathyR said...

I love your positive attitude. I'm sure it makes the rough times a little easier to get through.

Heather said...

That is great! I have to say that I also do the same. Hey what can I sat great minds think alike :) I hope you start feeling better soon!

Mary C. said...

How do you do it?
I am a horrible cry baby.
You are so 'zen' ish.
Amazing.
Please be better soon.

Unknown said...

I wish you felt better, but I love it when thing line up and reassure you that there is indeed a method to this madness that is life.